How to Move WhatsApp Chat Data Between iOS and Android
According to a recent announcement from WhatsApp, users will soon be able to move their entire chat history from Android to iOS and vice versa. During the Galaxy Unpacked celebration last year, this feature was initially disclosed. Before that, users of WhatsApp had to rely on third-party apps or risk losing their chat history when switching. This function was initially made accessible on the Meta-owned platform through a beta upgrade. Your WhatsApp call and payment history still cannot be transferred using this feature, unfortunately.
Through a tweet, WhatsApp made the new migration capability fully public. The business has highlighted how to move WhatsApp chat history from Android to iOS on its revised FAQ website. Before beginning the transfer, users should keep a few things in mind: their Android smartphone should be running Android 5 or higher, and their iPhone should have iOS 15.5 or higher loaded. Both of your devices should be logged in to the same Wi-Fi network because the transmission takes place wirelessly. Additionally, it is advised that you plug your phones into a power source while performing the migration.
WhatsApp disclosed that this new migration feature will initially be accessible for a limited number of Samsung smartphones at last year’s Galaxy Unpacked event. Later, as part of a beta update, the feature was made accessible to a larger user base.
How to switch between an Android and an iPhone
1. Open the Move to iOS app on your Android phone, then follow the on-screen instructions.
2. On your Android phone, enter the code that was displayed on your iPhone.
3. Then, adhere to the instructions by tapping Continue.
4. On the Transfer Data screen, pick WhatsApp.
5. On your Android device, tap Start, and wait while WhatsApp prepares the data for export. Once the data is ready, you’ll be signed out of your Android phone.
6. To get back to the Move to iOS app, tap Next.
7. When Move to iOS appears, tap it to confirm the data transfer from your Android phone to your iPhone is finished.
8. Download WhatsApp’s most recent version from the App Store.
9. Use the same phone number you used to sign up for WhatsApp on your previous device.
10.When prompted, select Start, and then wait for the procedure to finish.
After you finish the new device’s activation, you will be able to see your chats there. Notably, until you make a backup, the transferred data won’t be uploaded to iCloud. Until you delete your smartphone or uninstall WhatsApp, the data will stay on your Android device.
Prior to transferring chat history, consider the following:
1. Your Android smartphone must have Android OS Lollipop, SDK 21 or later, or Android 5 or later installed.
2. Your iPhone must have iOS 15.5 or later loaded.
3. Installed on your Android phone is the Move to iOS app.
4. On your new handset, WhatsApp must be version 126.96.36.199 or higher.
5. On your previous device, WhatsApp Android version 188.8.131.52 or higher
6. On your new smartphone, dial the same phone number as you did on your previous one.
7. For the Move to iOS app to connect with your iPhone and transfer data from your Android phone, your iPhone must be brand-new or reset to factory settings.
8. You need to have a power supply connected to both of your devices.
9. You need to have a power supply connected to both of your devices.
10. You’ll either need to connect your Android device to your iPhone’s hotspot or both of your devices must be connected to the same Wi-Fi network.